Uncovering, Dealing with and Transforming Fear Into …
“Are you ready?” Klaus asked finally.
“No,” Sunny answered. “Me neither,” Violet said,
“but if we wait until we’re ready we’ll be waiting for the rest of our lives,
Lemony Snicket, The Ersatz Elevator
Fear, being scared has the same physiological indications as being excited which is why when asked to choose scared or excited I was clear that both applied.
Hence I created the word SCITEMENT.
Fear is a message that we need pause, take a breath or several. Choose to call on our courage even the most miniscule scrap.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” Nelson Mandela
To rummage in our metaphorical backpack and enlist the help of these 5 superheroes to conquer our fear.
- Courage – ask what about this situation needs my attention? How can I step up to be brave?
- Genuine – reveal the real you with all your history, dreams, plans, values, what you authentically stand for
- Flexible – perfect bounce back-er with integral resilience, healthy in all aspects, social support
- Open and honest – willing to be vulnerable, show who we are. Appreciate difficulties. Befriend them
- Ethical compass – set it to respect, gratitude, appreciation, tolerance and joy
Small steps make a difference until one day we suddenly realise that we can control our fear and make it work positively for us. Making decisions when we have dithered brings us alive.
‘At the end of the day people won’t remember what you said or did,
they will remember how you made them feel.’
We don’t rise to the level of our goals we fall to the level of our systems’
James Clear Atomic Habits