S M A R T I E S effect for taking action
S M A R T I E S is all about change. Drat!
S M A R T I E S effect is very simple. Hurrah!
S M A R T I E S can be applied to anything by asking 8 questions. That’s where the fun begins!
New Year having disappeared into the mists of time with resolutions made, hastily forgotten. After all it was the making of them that was important. What? Were actions meant to be involved? Help!
The Chinese New Year provides another opportunity …. Phew! Or any time in the year.
We convince ourselves that having said it or written it or even easier thought it that everything will happen without any involvement from ourselves.
Commitment to making happen what we want, what we dream, what encompasses our heart’s desire … surely not necessary. Leave it to chance. It’ll just happen.
Think again! S M A R T I E S any time, any situation. Invite S M A R T I E S to be ‘keep me on track’.
Regarding what you want to achieve, challenge to deal with invoke the power of The Ask:
- How specific am I re XYZ?
- What is my measurability re XYZ?
- How achievable is XYZ?
- Is XYZ realistic?
- What do I need to do to make XYZ trackable?
- How i/ intriguing / inspirational am I prepared to have XYZ be?
- What would be the most exciting / expansive / exceptional thing about XYZ?
- If there were no limits at all what would I create to have XYZ be really special?
An example is always useful to understand the power of S M A R T I E S.
The challenge: To achieve a no slider Inbox with no more than 3 folders in addition to the Inbox
- How specific am I re a no slider Inbox? Very clear that 1. no slider inbox means that all emails in Inbox / Drafts / Sent / Delete can be seen without having to use the slider 2. 3 folders have no slider either. Simply store emails awaiting actions from another or to retain an e-trail.
- What is my measurability re a no slider Inbox? Easy as it is a clear visual check
- How achievable is a no slider Inbox? With commitment yes + being ruthless and unsubscribing from everything except essentials.
- No slider Inbox realistic? Yes. Anything incoming is someone else’s agenda using up my valuable time. It can take up to a minute to deal with an email so 60 unwanted emails costs me ONE hour.
- What do I need to do to make a no slider Inbox trackable? Be ruthless; ‘handle’ an email only once; agree to reply immediately or delete or delegate any incoming email.
- How interesting/ intriguing / inspirational am I prepared to have a no slider Inbox be? Freedom is a delicious feeling especially when anything that comes into my Inbox is in alignment with what I want.
- What would be the most exciting / expansive /extraordinary/ exceptional thing about a no slider Inbox? Time to use on things that really forward my business and my development
- If there were no limits at all what would I create to have a no slider Inbox be really special? I would design something that would evaporate all junk emails before they arrived especially those that are of the un-blockable variety and return them to the sender x 100.
Yes. It means changing one’s mindset. Yes. It means saying no and saying yes. Yes. It means being in control of what happens. Challenge achieved is fabulously energising. What challenge will you choose to apply S M A R T I E S to?